STAY TUNED FOR MORE UP TO DATE CONTENT DAILY!

Jul 19, 2011

Hyde Park, Potential Unrealized

     I remember the countless days I spent every summer at Hyde Park playing little league baseball, watching football and baseball games at Sal Maglie Stadium, picnicking at Duck Island, and playing on the playground just outside the ice pavilion.  I continue to be a patron of the park although my little league days are behind me. Whether it's going on a nice stroll along Robins Drive or challenging myself jogging around the park, I still find myself being an advocate of this great park. However in recent years I've begun to realize that this park could be so much more than it is. The baseball diamonds are in need of a resurfacing and quite frankly the entire park needs to be reorganized in my opinion. I imagine this being a community gathering location where one can enjoy the open meadow and others the beauty of the creek. I imagine residents being able to  enjoy the beauty of this park by having intricate walkways paved and unpaved where even joggers will desire to patronize; right now joggers are forced onto the street at Linwood Avenue. Sal Maglie Stadium and Hyde Park Pool should be laid out in a manner that is inviting and at peace with the surrounding nature. One should compliment the other. The ice pavilion, tennis courts, playground, and bocce court should be utilized completely throughout the summer with different programming and community development events.  How about an outdoor performance stage? Maybe its just me dreaming but I just envision Hyde Park as the focal congregational location that many events and meetings should be held at. A successful park that many residents patronize can serve as a catalyst to adjacent neighborhoods. Hyde Park boulevard could thrive if this park were utilized to its fullest potential. Your thoughts?

Just an example of a community orientated park

1 comment:

  1. Maybe so, but lets concentrate on our waterfront before we decide to spend millions more on less lucrative ventures. The city's Comprehensive Plan calls for a similar park with an amphitheater to be located near the aquarium with views up and down the gorge.

    In the mean time, we could make Hyde park better for everyone by cleaning up the water and eroding shoreline.

    ReplyDelete

Let Your Voice Be Heard!